Rovers 3-3 Crewe Alexandra – Match Review

9-men Rovers drew 3-3 with League Two Crewe Alexandra to secure a replay at Gresty Road

Rovers took a 3-0 lead within 20 minutes.

11 minutes in, Samuel beat defender Walker and placed the ball past Richards in the Crewe goal.

5 minutes later and it was 2. A great threaded through-ball by Samuel played Graham through and the veteran made no mistake.

With 20 minutes gone, the tie looked out of reach. Cooper lost the ball and Samuel was slid through and he cleverly finished for his second.

However, 15 minutes later came a huge decision. Porter went through on goal and Rekeem Harper was alleged to have pulled down the forward.

Referee David Webb brandished a red card and Rovers had 10 men. Porter put the penalty away to give Crewe a chance of a comeback.

Crewe themselves should’ve been down to 10 as the already booked Walker apprehended Samuel but the referee let him off just before half time.

The half time whistle went and Rovers were 3-1 up.

At half time, Rovers brought on Paul Downing and Richie Smallwood for Danny Graham and Elliott Ward.

8 minutes into the second half, Rovers went down to 9 men. Bennett and Crewe’s Ng collided and the referee sent Rovers’ number 31 off.

Within 12 minutes of Rovers being down to 9 men. In the 62nd minute, a Cooper corner was glanced in by former Rover Eddie Nolan.

3 minutes later, Crewe scored another corner. A cross was glanced in by Porter for his second.

From such a dominant position, Rovers were now hanging on because of referee Webb.

Alexandra continued to pump the ball forward with near chances, but nothing came of the chances.

The full time whistle went and Rovers had held on for a replay. To secure a draw in such circumstances was a credit to those who ended the game on the pitch.

Rovers will now face Crewe in the replay at Gresty Road on Tuesday 12th December, 7:45pm.

Thanks for reading.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *