Rovers 2-2 Fleetwood Town – Match Review

Rovers failed to take advantage of their first game in hand of the season as they were twice pegged back to draw 2-2 in our first ever meeting with Fleetwood Town. 

Mowbray made just one change from the team that drew 0-0 at second-placed Wigan, and it was a forced change, with Danny Graham coming into the starting XI in place of Elliott Bennett, who was serving a one-match ban after being booked twice on Saturday. Joe Nuttall earned himself a place on the bench, as Samuel is still suspended and Chapman is out with a hamstring injury.

The first half was extremely dull with chances few and far between, with neither goalkeeper really tested.

The best chance of the half came within the opening 10 minutes. Fleetwood’s Bobby Grant struck a beautifully hit shot, but Raya did enough to palm the ball around the post.

The game came to life after the break when Dack scored his third in as many home games eight minutes after the restart to put Rovers 1-0 up with a header on the line after Graham’s shot was saved by Cairns in the Fleetwood goal.

Barely 10 minutes later and Fleetwood were level as Aiden O’Neill drilled home the rebound through Williams’ legs after Raya kept out a shot from Ashley Hunter.

Mowbray brought on Evans for Smallwood with 20 minutes left, and also took Graham off and replaced him with Joe Nuttall, making his first senior league appearance after impressing in the development squad.

It took Rovers precisely 8 minutes to #FeedTheNutt as he smashed the ball home from no more than a couple of yards after the ball bounced across goal to put Rovers back in front with 13 minutes to go.

This time it took the ‘Cod Army’ even less time to equalise as Wes Burns tapped the ball into the net following a goalmouth scramble from a set-piece; Raya’s poor goalkeeping playing a major part in the goal.

Rovers pushed for a third goal that would surely win the game but it never arrived (although there were shouts for a penalty after a shot from substitute Sam Hart hit an arm in the box) and they were left to rue missed opportunities once more as the game finished all square at 2-2.

This was a wasted chance to climb up to 5th, and we need to make sure once we take the lead, we kill games off and don’t give the opposition the chance to come back into the game.

Next up for the Blue and Whites is a FA Cup tie at home to Barnet on Saturday, with a trip to Rochdale in the final Checkatrade Trophy group game coming on Tuesday.

It is the 18th November before Rovers have another game in League One, that one being away to Bury.

We go again.

Thanks for reading. Click here to see all of our reaction to the Fleetwood game!