Morecambe 1-2 Rovers – Match Report

Rovers pick up their third win out of four friendlies with a 2-1 win over The Shrimps at the Globe Arena.

Morecambe 21.07.17.png

On the back of their 8-0 win at York, Rovers headed to Morecambe full of confidence and raring to go. As the team news came out, Rovers fans found out that Nyambe, Conway and Wharton wouldn’t play due to knocks, whilst Samuel missed out after only joining on Wednesday.

Morecambe began the game well, playing the ball around the park whilst Rovers sat back and waited for their chance. That chance came in the 10th minute, and resulted in a goal. The ball came to Derrick Williams out wide, who crossed into Dack. The ex-Gillingham man had a shot saved, before Danny Graham poked home the opening goal. This prompted Morecambe to press more and began trying to create chances of their own. Their best chance during this spell ended with an over-hit cross.

Rovers doubled their lead just after the half-hour mark. Ben Gladwin, fresh from his two goals at York, perfectly lifted the cross to fan-favourite Elliott Bennett, who pulled off a perfect diving header to put Rovers 2-0 up.

However, 7 minutes later, Morecambe replied with their own goal. The ball was played over to Rhys Turner, who let the ball bounce once, and drilled the ball into the right side of David Raya’s net.

Rovers headed into the break 2-1 up, and looked to double their lead in the second-half of the game.

Morecambe began the half strong with Turner, who previously scored, having a shot that just skimmed off the upright. Gladwin then tried to do one better than the Morecambe man, but his shot went way over.

Dack then had a volley into the side netting, prompting many fans to celebrate what they thought was a goal. The game then became end to end, when in the space of 3 minutes, Kenyon had a dipping shot over the bar for Morecambe and then Dack has a decent shot saved.

In the 63rd minute, Dack and Graham – who look to be creating a good partnership – came off, and were replaced by Evans and Feeney. 11 minutes later, Rovers brought on Ward, Tomlinson and Nuttall replaced Smallwood, Whittingham and Gladwin.

Nuttall, a trialist who played for Aberdeen, should have scored at least 1. He had a host of chances, with his best chance a one-on-one which he missed. Caddis, fresh from signing a two-year deal with Rovers, headed a chance over with 7 minutes to go. The last real chance came from Elliott Bennett, who curled the ball past the goalkeeper, but also past the post.

The full-time whistle went, and Rovers fans applauded the team off the pitch. Elliott Bennett, a real credit to Rovers, went over and spent time with the fans – signing shirts and posing for pictures.

A special mention must go to the Rovers fans, who constantly created an atmosphere and turned out in their numbers. With support like that this season, it could just give Rovers the extra boost they may need when times are tough.

For more articles like this, follow RoversChat on Twitter – @rovers_chat – and all our other social media, which can be seen here.

RoversChat’s matchday experience will also be uploaded to our YouTube channel this weekend, and this channel can be found here.